Saturday, April 19, 2008

Shame on Me

I mean to post. Why should hours of working on that dratted masters project stop me from doing what I love? I think I will better regulate the things that fill my paltry spare time. Maybe BSG can wait an extra day so that I can post, pray, read, and do the things that generally enrich my life.

Here is my watercolor from today's excursion. I did it from the edge of a bridge below Bennington lake next to the Community College. I am happy with it although I am weary of complex undergrowth. Representing that in watercolor is a bit of a problem. Any ideas?



This next image is of a painting that I did in February and I have been meaning to put it up. It was really cold but just warm enough to get out and start painting. You can see a little bit of green just starting to happen. Frankly, I love this one. I think it is because it is one step closer to the style of Alan Lee who I a want to be...except for the teeth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe for an art show, you can show the seasons of Walla Walla. Your first one here is definitely spring. I love it. I'm excited about sunshine and anything green or colorful, right now.

Nothing said...

Excellent job on that bottom one. Even before I read your post, I thought of Alan Lee's art. Yours (at least from time to time) looks very much like him. The advantage you also have over Lee is that all of your teeth are in proper order in your mouth. That guy has some of the worst teeth I have ever seen. But, I digress...

Mike Lawrence said...

That bottom painting is fantastic Kuyler. How did you get the light lines? Are they scrapes? Masked out? Few know that the secret to Lee's success and skill is in fact his teeth. Legend has it that he sold the soul of his teeth to Tolkein in exchange for the ability to illustrate LOTR so well.

As for complex undergrowth, I think its just a weary thing to paint, especially if you are outside and can't use masking fluid without ruining your brush. Still, it looks fine in the painting and it isn't muddy (which is what happens most times I attempt to paint the stuff).