Saturday, March 22, 2008


Today was my first Sabbath painting venture beyond the confines of the Walla Walla Valley. A dear friend of mine whom we shall call Jason Lyman was staying the night here with me and was brave enough to come along and sit on a still-closed forest service road (too much snow on the road, especially in the canyon bottoms) with me for almost 3 hours. As we were readying to leave the dratted Tri-Cities inversion meandered in and washed out all my color and a lot of my contrast on what had been looking to be a sunny afternoon. The result was a cold and greyish view of Mill Creek Canyon. Even so, the dulled colors made for good practice for making my eye pay attention to hue.

I imported and color corrected my photograph with photoshop. We are having our first small relationship quarrel. I wished to be rid of the shadows around the border of the image while photoshop refused any compromise in the matter. Any expertise from those of you who have had flings with photoshop would be readily accepted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be happy to take a look at that shadow thing. If you don't have it finished up by Wednesday we can look at it either at your place or mine.

Nikia said...

Even though the lighting might have been blah, the lines and bleak settings of the Blues are completely unique, and you captured that.