Monday, March 3, 2008


I have decided I would like to post more often. That means that a certain amount of artistic refuse is going to ooze its way onto my blog. You can turn your cursor to other things if you so choose.

Here, by popular demand, is a sketch of one of my comment posting people, cje. The trick with pen is that when I've realized that my sketch looks a bit off, it is too late. This is the case with the J in cje (I think I have that pegged). She is captured here across 5 minutes or so during church school last Sabbath. Our model, J, displays a variety of expressions in each part of her face, hand gesture, and set of the shoulders. Despite the fact that this doesn't actually look identical to J (probably a good thing in terms of e-privacy) it captures a story of what she was doing and saying over time, sort of like a cross between a movie and a photograph. That is part of why I love life drawing.

The other guy is enjoying all the comfort a church pew can't offer. I wonder if it is right or wrong that church offers little physical comfort. I might take for granted what I was taking in if I was sinking into some squishy couch while the choir sang and the preacher preached.

4 comments:

Nothing said...

If we had squishy church pews some might be prone to napping during the service. Wait...some people do that anyways. Now that's something I will never understand: people who can sleep during the service on hard wooden (or) inadequately-cushioned pews.

Anonymous said...

When you're ready to branch out of the cookies/brownies, I'm ready to make banana bread and zucchini bread with you.

Mike Lawrence said...

As always, your talent for quick gesture drawings puts me to shame. Your figures never feel "posed", they look so natural on the page. Good job.

CëRïSë said...

HA! I recognize that pew.